Mphanda Nkuwa Hydropower Project : EDF, TotalEnergies, and Sumitomo selected to develop 1.5GW project

TAGS

A consortium comprising EDF (40%), TotalEnergies (30%), and Sumitomo Corporation (30%) has been selected as a strategic partner by the Government of Mozambique for the Mphanda Nkuwa hydropower project (MNK).

Located on the Zambezi River, near Cahora Bassa and Tete City, Mphanda Nkuwa hydropower project is envisaged as a 1,500 MW run-of-river hydropower project. The consortium has signed a joint development agreement with the Gabinete de Implementação do Projecto Hidroeléctrico de Mphanda Nkuwa (GMNK), Electricidade de Moçambique (EDM), and Hidroeléctrica de Cahora Bassa (HCB), with EDM and HCB owning 30% of the project, and the consortium holding the remaining 70%.

See also  Mozambique LNG project : Total signs $14.9bn financing agreement

Advancing Mozambique’s Renewable Energy Capacity

The Mphanda Nkuwa hydropower project is set to increase Mozambique’s electricity production capacity by over 50%, potentially powering more than 3 million households in the region. It marks a significant step in promoting economic and social growth in Southern Africa and contributing to the region’s energy transition by providing reliable, renewable electricity.

EDF, TotalEnergies, and Sumitomo Join Forces for Mozambique's Mphanda Nkuwa Hydropower Project

EDF, TotalEnergies, and Sumitomo Join Forces for Mozambique’s Mphanda Nkuwa Hydropower Project

Strategic Partnership for Sustainable Development

The consortium will leverage EDF’s extensive hydropower experience and technical expertise, TotalEnergies’ know-how in large and complex integrated energy projects, particularly in Africa, and Sumitomo’s experience in financing strategic Independent Power Producer (IPP) projects in Sub-Saharan Africa.

See also  Surmont oil sands project : ConocoPhillips to buy out TotalEnergies’ stake

Mphanda Nkuwa hydropower project : Next Steps in Project Development

The upcoming phase involves additional studies to define the best options in terms of environmental and social impact, ensuring technical and financial viability. The project, supported by the African Development Bank and the World Bank’s IFC, will adhere to the highest international standards in environmental, social, and governance criteria.

See also  Gravita India commissions aluminum recycling plant in Mozambique

Corporate Leaders’ Statements on the Mphanda Nkuwa hydropower project

Mike Sangster, SVP Africa, and Vincent Stoquart, SVP Renewables at TotalEnergies, expressed their excitement about expanding their presence in Mozambique with a significant investment in renewable energy through the Mphanda Nkuwa hydropower project. Béatrice Buffon, EDF Group Senior Executive Vice-President, International Division, highlighted EDF’s commitment to local communities and biodiversity. Koichi Taniguchi, General Manager, Global Power Infrastructure Business Division at Sumitomo Corporation, stressed Sumitomo’s focus on carbon neutrality and sustainable society contributions.

CATEGORIES
TAGS
Share This