Medicinal Plants for Cancer Treatment and Free On-line Cancer Information Service
Some of the plants which are having anti-cancerous properties are listed below:
1. May Apple plant:
Biological name : Podophyllum peltatum
May Apple plant produces podophyllotoxin, which is used for treating testicular cancers.
Biological name : Taxus brevifolia and Taxus baccata
Taxols from these plants are effective against ovarian cancers.
Biological name : Foeniculum vulgare
The compound genistein present in soya weakens the ability of cancer cells to grow faster so that they starve and die.
Other plants like Allium sativum, Withania somnifera, Trichossanthus dioca (Parval) are also the useful plants in the treatment of cancer.
Some other formulations which are developed with herbs like Sariva, Amrita, Bhallataka are effective in treating uterine cancer, cervical cancer, liver cancer, kidney cancer, leukaemia, breast cancer and brain tumours.
For the prevention of cancer, a holistic approach is to use
- Carotene or vitamin A, E, C, B-complex and iron
- Selenium in everyday vegetables and fruits
- Garlic (selenium source)
- Dark green vegetables
- Custard Apple
Prophylectics against cancer:
- Use of cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and tomatoes in food
- Use of coloured fruits and vegetables
- Use of vitamins A,C,E and unsaturated fatty acids like omega acids
- Use of mustard oil and mustard saag
- Use of garlic and turmeric
To know more about your queries on cancer you can find Free On-line Cancer Information Service below
The Sitaram Bhartiya Institute of Science and Research, located in New Delhi has started a free on-line information service on all aspects of cancer. To get any information regarding cancer, one has to dial 6867435 on weekdays, between 9 am and 5 pm. A trained person on the line will answer the queries in English or Hindi. The information can also be sent by mail or e-mail on request free of charge.The e-mail address is email@example.com
The Cancer Information Service provides information on:
- The nature of cancer
- Ways to detect it early
- Lifestyles to adopt to prevent some cancers
- Tests and techniques to diagnose cancer
- Location and the nearest facility offering treatment of cancer
- Management of side-effects
- Availability of medicines and disposables
- Psychological and social support groups in Delhi
- Rehabilitation services