India’s gas game changer: How Reliance Industries, BP are set to revolutionize the industry


Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) and bp have announced the initiation of production from the MJ field, marking the completion of their final deepwater development in the KG D6 block, located off India’s east coast.

This significant milestone follows the successful start-up of the R-Cluster field in December 2020 and Satellite Cluster in April 2021, both part of the same Reliance Industries-bp consortium.

All three deepwater developments have been leveraging the existing hub infrastructure for the KG D6 block. Collectively, they’re anticipated to generate around 30 million standard cubic meters of gas per day (one billion cubic feet per day) when MJ field hits its peak production. This output is projected to comprise approximately one third of India’s current domestic gas production, potentially fulfilling around 15% of the nation’s demand.

Reliance Industries, BP start production from MJ field to boost India's gas output

Reliance Industries, BP start production from MJ field to boost India’s gas output. Photo courtesy of BP p.l.c.

Mukesh Ambani — Reliance Industries chairman and managing director said: “We continue to be proud of our partnership with bp that combines our expertise in commissioning complex projects under some of the most challenging environments in the last few years. Alongside the other KG D6 fields, the MJ development truly supports the ‘Make in India’ and ‘Energy vision’ laid out by the Government of India.”

See also  Panache DigiLife, V.E.S Institute of Technology partner on ASICs and SOCs

Discovered in 2013 and greenlit in 2019, the MJ field is a high Pressure and high Temperature (HPHT) gas and condensate field. Situated 30 kilometers away from the existing onshore terminal at Gadimoga on the east coast of India, the field is nestled in water depths of up to 1,200 meters. The field will draw from eight wells and is expected to reach peak gas production of about 12 MMSCMD gas and 25,000 barrels of condensate per day.

See also  Madhav Marbles and Granites begins production at engineered stone plant in Oman

The MJ field boasts a new Floating Production, Storage and Offloading (FPSO) vessel named ‘Ruby’. This FPSO is designed to process and separate the condensate, gas, water, and impurities, before transferring the gas onshore for sale. The condensate, meanwhile, will be stored on the FPSO before being offloaded to shuttle tankers and supplied to Indian refineries.

See also  Social media on trial! Haryana's Minister Anil Vij vows crackdown amid communal violence

Reliance Industries operates the KG D6 block with a participating interest of 66.67%, while bp holds the remaining 33.33% stake. This partnership has bolstered India’s energy sector, significantly contributing to the country’s domestic gas production.

Bernard Looney — bp chief executive said: “By safely bringing these new developments onstream, RIL and bp are making an important contribution to meeting India’s demand for secure supplies of gas. Our close strategic partnership with RIL now stretches back over 15 years and we are proud of how it continues to deepen – in gas, retail, aviation fuels and sustainable mobility solutions.

“Together we are helping to meet India’s growing energy needs, bringing the best of each partner to create real value.”

Share This


Wordpress (0)