United States President Donald Trump announced on April 23, 2026, that Lebanon and Israel had agreed to extend their ceasefire by three weeks, following a high-level meeting at the White House that brought together the two countries’ ambassadors to the United States and senior American officials.
President Trump hosted Israeli ambassador to the United States Yechiel Leiter and Lebanese ambassador to the United States Nada Moawad in the Oval Office for a second round of United States-facilitated talks. Vice President JD Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, United States Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, and United States Ambassador to Lebanon Michel Issa also attended the meeting.
President Trump posted on Truth Social after the meeting that it had gone very well and that the United States would work with Lebanon to help it protect itself from Hezbollah. He said he looks forward to hosting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Lebanese President Joseph Aoun at the White House in the near future, and expressed hope the visit could take place during the three-week extension window.
The session was led by Secretary of State Marco Rubio and State Department Counselor Michael Needham. Ambassador Nada Moawad, who went into the meeting seeking an extension of the ceasefire, thanked President Trump for hosting the talks, saying that with his help Lebanon could make itself great again.
The initial ceasefire went into effect the previous Friday, had been due to expire on Sunday, and marked the first formal diplomatic contact at this level between the two countries in decades. Israel and Lebanon have officially been at war since 1948.
Why did Lebanon agree to direct talks with Israel and what does Beirut want from the negotiations?
Heading into the second round of talks, Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam urged the Trump administration to pressure Israel to scale back its demands and end its military invasion of the country. In an interview with the Washington Post, Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam said Lebanon could not sign any agreement that did not include a full withdrawal of Israeli forces from southern Lebanon, describing the continuation of an Israeli presence in the south as a situation that prevented displaced people from returning and destroyed villages and towns from being rebuilt.
Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam, who is a former president of the International Court of Justice in The Hague, said he was entering the negotiations convinced that the United States was the party with the capacity to exercise leverage over Israel, and that Washington’s role had been critical in reaching the initial ceasefire.
Lebanese President Joseph Aoun said his objectives for the negotiations included a complete halt to Israeli military operations, the withdrawal of all Israeli forces from southern Lebanon, the return of prisoners, permission for displaced Lebanese civilians to return to their homes, and the commencement of reconstruction for all that was destroyed during the war. Lebanese President Joseph Aoun also demanded a halt to Israeli demolition operations in southern villages and towns, with reports indicating that Israeli forces had been using heavy equipment to level structures the military described as potential Hezbollah firing positions.
A Lebanese official confirmed that Beirut would push for Israeli troop withdrawal, the return of Lebanese detainees held in Israel, and the delineation of the land border as core elements of any next phase of negotiations. Lebanon has also appealed to partners including Washington and Paris to help expand and reinforce the Lebanese Armed Forces with equipment and training, and to provide funding for humanitarian needs and reconstruction.
The United States State Department said an extended ceasefire could be established if progress was made, if a mutual agreement between the parties was reached, and if the Lebanese government effectively demonstrated its ability to assert sovereignty, a formulation understood as a reference to Hezbollah’s disarmament and the Lebanese government’s authority in the south. A State Department official said the time had come to treat Lebanon as a sovereign state and to finally empower it to act like one, rather than allowing an Iran-backed organisation to exercise a veto over its future.
What is Hezbollah’s position and why does the ceasefire arrangement deliberately exclude the group?
Hezbollah is not a party to the United States-brokered ceasefire between Lebanon and Israel, which has been structured to sideline the Iranian-backed organisation and engage the Lebanese government as an independent sovereign actor. Hezbollah member of parliament Hassan Fadlallah said the group wanted the ceasefire to continue but only on the basis of full compliance by Israel. Hassan Fadlallah reiterated Hezbollah’s objections to face-to-face talks and urged the Lebanese government to cancel all forms of direct contact with Israel.
After the first round of Washington talks, Hezbollah leader Naim Qassem said the Aoun government was subjecting Lebanon to humiliation by negotiating directly with Israel and listening to its dictates. Hassan Fadlallah had called on Lebanese President Joseph Aoun to pull out of the talks, saying the group would reject and confront any attempt to impose political costs on Lebanon through concessions made to Israel, though also acknowledging that the group wanted the ceasefire to continue alongside an Israeli withdrawal.
Hezbollah spokesperson Salman Harb maintained the organisation’s right to resist if Israel refused to withdraw from Lebanese territory. The organisation’s sustained objection to direct government engagement with Israel reflects both its foundational ideology and the broader political reality that Hezbollah has historically functioned as a state within a state in Lebanon, wielding military, political, and economic influence that the current government is seeking to gradually constrain.
Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam has said the only way to disarm Hezbollah is to bolster the Lebanese Armed Forces, adding that a state cannot have two armies. He said disarmament is a process that would not happen overnight, but that the government had already shown seriousness by confiscating weapons and outlawing Hezbollah military operations, and that the government was not intimidated by Hezbollah.
Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam previously said the war was imposed on Lebanon and that Beirut could have avoided it if Hezbollah had not resumed attacks on Israel. A potential clash between the Aoun-Salam government and Hezbollah has been building since the government took power last year.
What ceasefire violations occurred during the initial truce period and how did they affect the diplomatic process?
The ceasefire yielded a significant reduction in violence since it came into effect on April 16, 2026, but attacks continued in southern Lebanon, where Israeli troops have seized a self-declared buffer zone. Hezbollah has stated that it carries the right to resist occupying forces.
Wednesday, April 22, 2026, was Lebanon’s deadliest day since the ceasefire took effect. Israeli strikes killed at least five people, including Lebanese journalist Amal Khalil, a veteran correspondent for Al-Akhbar newspaper, according to a senior Lebanese military official and her employer. Israeli forces were also accused of demolishing homes and structures in the areas of southern Lebanon they occupied following the ceasefire’s entry into force.
Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam accused Israel of targeting journalists, describing the killing of media workers in southern Lebanon as no longer isolated incidents but an established approach that violated international law and all international conventions. The Israeli military said it was reviewing an incident in which journalists were reported wounded, stating that a vehicle departing from a military structure used by Hezbollah was the intended target, and reiterating that Israel does not target journalists.
Shortly before the Oval Office meeting began, Hezbollah fired a rocket salvo targeting the Israeli settlement of Shtula, stating the attack was in response to what it described as ceasefire violations and Israeli targeting of the town of Yater in southern Lebanon. The Israeli military conducted airstrikes targeting the launch sites in response. President Trump told reporters that Israel would have to defend itself if attacked during the ceasefire, but stressed it must do so carefully and in a surgical way.
Hezbollah carried out four operations in southern Lebanon on Wednesday, April 22, in response to Israeli strikes. The Israeli military said on Thursday that it killed two armed individuals in southern Lebanon after identifying them approaching soldiers and posing an immediate threat.
What is the broader regional significance of the Lebanon ceasefire and how does it connect to the United States-Iran confrontation?
The United States has a dual strategic motive in extending the Lebanon ceasefire: advancing direct Israel-Lebanon peace talks, and preventing renewed fighting from undermining the effort to reach a deal with Iran. While the two tracks are officially separate, Iran has claimed that ongoing Israeli attacks in Lebanon constitute a violation of its truce with the United States.
Hostilities between Hezbollah and Israel reignited on March 2, 2026, when the group opened fire in support of Iran in the regional war. The ceasefire in Lebanon emerged separately from Washington’s efforts to resolve its conflict with Tehran, though Iran had called for Lebanon to be included in any broader truce. Nearly 2,500 people have been killed in Lebanon since Israel went on the offensive following Hezbollah’s March 2 attack, according to Lebanese authorities. Israel is occupying a belt of southern Lebanese territory extending five to ten kilometres into Lebanon, saying it aims to shield northern Israel from Hezbollah attacks.
The direct talks between Lebanon and Israel in Washington represent the first formal bilateral engagement of this kind since 1993, when representatives of the two countries last held direct negotiations, and carry historical weight that extends well beyond the immediate question of ceasefire duration. The framework of United Nations Security Council Resolution 1701, adopted unanimously in August 2006 to end that year’s 34-day war between Israel and Hezbollah, remains the international legal foundation for any durable settlement, calling for the full withdrawal of Israeli forces, Hezbollah’s withdrawal north of the Litani River, disarmament of all armed groups, and exclusive authority for the Lebanese Armed Forces and United Nations peacekeepers in southern Lebanon. As of the current round of talks, its core disarmament provisions have never been fully enforced.
Lebanese officials have said a trilateral meeting between the United States, Israel, and Lebanon is unlikely as long as Israel is occupying six percent of Lebanese territory and continuing to conduct strikes there despite the ceasefire. President Trump was also asked about the Lebanese law barring contact with Israel, and he asked Secretary of State Marco Rubio and other officials in the room to work on having the law cancelled, a politically challenging task inside Lebanon given the country’s internal power arrangements.
What are the key takeaways from the Lebanon-Israel ceasefire extension announced at the White House on April 23, 2026?
- United States President Donald Trump announced on April 23, 2026, that Lebanon and Israel had agreed to extend their ceasefire by three weeks, following a second round of Oval Office talks that included Israeli ambassador to the United States Yechiel Leiter, Lebanese ambassador to the United States Nada Moawad, Vice President JD Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, United States Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, and United States Ambassador to Lebanon Michel Issa.
- The initial ten-day ceasefire, in effect since April 16, 2026, was due to expire on Sunday, April 26, and the extension was requested by Lebanon to allow additional time for negotiations on a framework agreement.
- Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam has conditioned any final agreement on a full Israeli military withdrawal from the self-declared buffer zone Israel has established in southern Lebanese territory, which extends five to ten kilometres into Lebanon.
- Hezbollah, which is not a party to the ceasefire, continued to conduct operations during the truce period and has opposed the direct government-to-government talks, with Hezbollah member of parliament Hassan Fadlallah calling on Lebanese President Joseph Aoun to end all direct contact with Israel.
- Wednesday, April 22, 2026, was the deadliest day in Lebanon since the ceasefire entered into force, with Israeli strikes killing at least five people including Lebanese journalist Amal Khalil of Al-Akhbar newspaper.
Discover more from Business-News-Today.com
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.