At least 42 children were injured after an explosion struck near an education centre in Kabul’s Dasht-e-Barchi neighbourhood on Monday afternoon, August 17, bringing renewed scrutiny to the security of Afghanistan’s Hazara community only days after the Taliban marked five years since returning to power. The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan confirmed the casualty figure on August 18 and called for an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the blast.
A Kabul hospital that received at least 35 injured students said every patient it treated was between 10 and 14 years old. The children suffered shrapnel wounds, with at least three requiring surgery, according to the hospital’s Afghanistan director. The casualty profile indicates that the blast occurred when large numbers of school-age children were present, substantially increasing the seriousness of an incident that had initially been reported with limited official detail.
Afghan authorities have not publicly established responsibility. The Associated Press reported, citing Kabul police, that the incident involved a hand grenade near a school, while police said an investigation was under way. Reuters said it could not independently verify the cause of the explosion, meaning claims about the device, perpetrator or motive should remain provisional until investigators release further evidence.
What makes the blast particularly sensitive is its location. Dasht-e-Barchi in western Kabul is predominantly populated by Afghanistan’s Hazara and Shiite communities and has repeatedly experienced deadly attacks against schools, tutoring centres, hospitals and other civilian locations. Islamic State militants have claimed responsibility for several previous attacks targeting Hazaras, although no group had publicly claimed responsibility for the August 17 explosion by the time of the latest reports.
What happened outside the Kabul education centre and how many children were injured?
The explosion occurred on Monday afternoon in Dasht-e-Barchi, one of Kabul’s most densely populated districts. Kabul police spokesman Khalid Zadran initially said that a number of children had been injured and that authorities had begun investigating. Afghan media subsequently reported casualty estimates approaching 50 before the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan established that at least 42 children had been injured.
Medical information provides one of the clearest pictures of the blast’s human impact. At least 35 injured students were admitted to a Kabul hospital operated by the humanitarian organisation EMERGENCY, and all were aged between 10 and 14. Hospital officials said the children had suffered shrapnel injuries and at least three required surgical treatment.
Those details are significant because fragmentation injuries are consistent with an explosive device designed or capable of scattering metal or debris across an area. They do not, however, establish the type of weapon or who deployed it. The Associated Press reported that authorities described the incident as a hand grenade attack, while Reuters noted that it had not independently confirmed the cause.
No deaths had been reported in the latest confirmed information. That distinguishes the incident from several previous attacks in the same district, but the concentration of young victims has generated international condemnation and demands for a transparent investigation.
Why does an explosion in Kabul’s Dasht-e-Barchi district immediately raise fears of a targeted Hazara attack?
Dasht-e-Barchi carries a particularly painful history within Afghanistan’s recent security crisis. The neighbourhood is home mainly to Hazaras, an ethnic group whose members are predominantly Shiite Muslims in a country where the majority population is Sunni. Hazaras have experienced longstanding discrimination and repeated attacks by extremist organisations, including Islamic State in Khorasan Province.
That history means an explosion close to a school or education centre in the district inevitably raises concerns about deliberate sectarian violence. United Nations Special Rapporteur Richard Bennett said the fact that the mainly Hazara area had once again experienced violence required an independent investigation capable of identifying those responsible and ensuring accountability. The European Union mission in Afghanistan separately condemned deliberate attacks against children and educational institutions.
Those statements should not be interpreted as proof that the August 17 blast was sectarian or that a particular extremist organisation carried it out. Neither the United Nations nor Afghan authorities had publicly attributed responsibility in the latest reporting. The location and history explain why international officials are treating the incident seriously, but attribution will depend on evidence collected by investigators.
The distinction is particularly important in Afghanistan, where different militant groups, local disputes, unexploded ordnance and criminal violence can all produce explosive incidents. Early assumptions can quickly become embedded in public discussion even when forensic findings have not yet established motive.
How have schools and education centres in Dasht-e-Barchi been targeted in previous attacks?
The August 17 incident is not occurring in isolation. Dasht-e-Barchi has repeatedly witnessed mass-casualty attacks on educational institutions, many of them affecting young women and girls. That history has turned ordinary activities such as attending school or preparing for university examinations into persistent security concerns for families in the district.
One of the deadliest incidents occurred in May 2021, when bombings near a school in the neighbourhood killed at least 85 people and injured hundreds. Most of those killed were girls and women. The attack happened as students were leaving school and remains one of the most notorious examples of violence targeting education in modern Afghanistan.
Another major attack took place in September 2022 when a suicide bomber struck a tutoring centre while students were preparing for university entrance examinations. At least 19 people were initially reported killed, with many of the victims young women and teenage girls.
Islamic State in Khorasan Province has repeatedly targeted Shiite communities in Afghanistan, including Hazara neighbourhoods. Its strategy has included attacks on mosques, educational centres, hospitals and gatherings where civilian casualties can be high.
That record explains why Monday’s explosion immediately revived deeper fears among residents. Even when an incident produces fewer casualties than previous attacks, repeated violence can have cumulative consequences by discouraging school attendance, increasing security costs and reinforcing a perception that particular communities remain vulnerable despite broader improvements in national security.
What does the Kabul school explosion reveal about Taliban claims of improved security after five years in power?
The timing is politically uncomfortable for the Taliban. Afghanistan’s rulers marked the fifth anniversary of their return to power on August 15 with official celebrations in Kabul, presenting improved security as one of their principal achievements since the collapse of the previous government in 2021. Taliban officials have repeatedly argued that the end of large-scale fighting between their forces and the former government substantially reduced everyday violence.
There is an important degree of truth to that argument. The large conventional conflict that dominated Afghanistan for two decades has ended, meaning many residents no longer experience daily fighting between Taliban forces, Afghan government troops and international military units. Some Kabul residents interviewed around the anniversary said streets felt safer than during earlier periods of war.
However, the reduction in nationwide battlefield violence has not eliminated terrorism or targeted attacks. Islamic State in Khorasan Province remains capable of conducting bombings and assassinations, while Taliban officials themselves have also been targeted. Only days before the anniversary, Faizabad Mayor Habib Ur Rahman Mansoor was killed in an explosion in Badakhshan, becoming the second senior Taliban-linked official killed in the province within roughly two weeks.
The Dasht-e-Barchi blast therefore highlights the difference between ending an insurgency against a national government and creating security for every civilian community. For Hazaras in particular, the question is whether authorities can prevent repeated attacks against predictable civilian targets such as schools and places of worship.
Why is protecting Hazara children especially sensitive under Afghanistan’s current education restrictions?
The attack also intersects with Afghanistan’s broader education crisis. Taliban authorities continue to prohibit girls from attending secondary school beyond the sixth grade, leaving Afghanistan as the only country where girls and women face such sweeping national restrictions on secondary and higher education.
The United Nations estimated around the fifth anniversary of Taliban rule that approximately 2.4 million Afghan girls had been excluded from secondary education. That means the children injured in the Dasht-e-Barchi blast are growing up within an education system already sharply constrained by gender, economic hardship and security risks.
For Hazara families, those pressures can overlap. Children who still have access to permitted education may nevertheless attend institutions located in communities repeatedly exposed to extremist attacks. Private tutoring centres and supplementary education facilities have historically played an important role in Hazara communities seeking academic advancement, making them both socially important and vulnerable targets.
The August 17 explosion therefore carries implications beyond immediate physical injuries. Repeated violence around educational institutions can influence whether parents feel safe sending children to classes, whether teachers continue working in high-risk neighbourhoods and whether private education providers can afford additional security.
Education becomes difficult to sustain when both legal restrictions and physical insecurity operate simultaneously.
Why has Islamic State in Khorasan Province remained a security challenge despite Taliban control?
Islamic State in Khorasan Province and the Taliban are hostile organisations despite both emerging from militant Islamist movements. The Taliban has fought Islamic State cells since returning to power and claims to have substantially weakened the organisation through raids, arrests and targeted operations.
Islamic State has nevertheless retained the capacity to conduct attacks designed to undermine Taliban claims of nationwide security. Sectarian attacks can be especially effective for that purpose because they expose communities the government is expected to protect while generating international attention disproportionate to the size of the attacking force.
Hazara and Shiite communities represent particularly vulnerable targets because Islamic State’s extremist ideology treats Shiites as enemies. Attacking schools or other civilian locations can generate large numbers of casualties without requiring militants to hold territory or confront Taliban security forces directly.
The Taliban therefore confronts a security challenge fundamentally different from the insurgency it conducted before 2021. It now has responsibility for intelligence gathering, urban policing, counterterrorism and civilian protection across an entire country, including communities that historically had adversarial relationships with the movement.
Whether the August 17 blast is ultimately linked to Islamic State remains unknown. But the continuing threat from the organisation forms the unavoidable security context against which any unexplained explosion in Dasht-e-Barchi must be investigated.
What questions must investigators answer before the Kabul explosion can be confidently attributed?
The first task is establishing precisely what exploded. Afghan police reports referring to a hand grenade provide an initial direction, but investigators need physical fragments, blast-pattern analysis and witness testimony to determine the device type. Reuters explicitly said it had not independently verified the cause.
Investigators must then determine where the device was placed or thrown, whether a particular individual or group was targeted and whether surveillance footage or witnesses can identify a suspect. The timing relative to students arriving or leaving the education centre may also help establish whether children were deliberately selected.
A credible investigation will also need to examine whether any warnings or claims of responsibility emerged through channels commonly used by militant groups. Even when an organisation claims an attack, authorities still need to verify whether the claim matches physical evidence because extremist groups can exaggerate or opportunistically claim incidents they did not conduct.
No group had claimed responsibility for the explosion as of August 18, while Afghan authorities said the circumstances remained under investigation. Investigators had not yet established a motive or identified those responsible.
What are the key takeaways from the Kabul education centre blast that injured at least 42 children?
- At least 42 children were injured in an explosion near an education centre in Kabul’s Dasht-e-Barchi neighbourhood on August 17, according to the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan.
- A Kabul hospital treated at least 35 injured students, all between 10 and 14 years old, with shrapnel injuries, while at least three children required surgery.
- Kabul police described the incident as involving a hand grenade and said an investigation was under way, although Reuters said it had not independently verified the cause of the explosion.
- No group had been publicly identified as responsible in the latest reporting, making it premature to attribute the explosion to Islamic State or any other organisation.
- Dasht-e-Barchi is predominantly populated by Afghanistan’s Hazara and Shiite communities and has repeatedly experienced extremist attacks against schools, tutoring centres and other civilian targets.
- A 2021 attack on a school in the same neighbourhood killed at least 85 people, while a suicide bombing at a tutoring centre in 2022 killed students preparing for university entrance examinations.
- The blast occurred only two days after Taliban authorities marked five years since returning to power and promoted improved national security as one of their principal achievements.
- The incident adds another layer of pressure on Afghan children already facing severe educational restrictions, economic hardship and persistent security concerns in minority communities.
Why could the August 17 Kabul school blast become another test of Taliban security credibility?
The immediate priority is medical care for dozens of injured children and determining exactly what happened outside the education centre. The fact that most confirmed patients were between 10 and 14 years old has intensified concern over the attack, while investigators have yet to establish who was responsible or what motivated the explosion.
The wider significance lies in where the explosion happened. Dasht-e-Barchi has experienced enough attacks against schools and Hazara civilians that another blast near an education centre inevitably tests claims that Afghanistan has entered a fundamentally more secure period. National battlefield violence may have fallen since 2021, but security is measured differently by communities repeatedly exposed to targeted attacks.
The Taliban government therefore faces a straightforward but demanding test. It must establish the cause, identify whoever was responsible if the explosion was deliberate and demonstrate that investigations into violence against Hazara civilians can lead to meaningful accountability. Simply emphasising broader improvements in national security will carry limited reassurance for families whose children continue encountering danger around educational institutions.
For Afghanistan’s Hazara community, the central question is not whether the country is statistically safer than during the previous war. It is whether children can attend classes without schools and tutoring centres remaining recurring targets. Until that question receives a convincing answer, every explosion in Dasht-e-Barchi will revive memories of earlier mass-casualty attacks and expose the unfinished limits of Afghanistan’s post-war security transition.
Discover more from Business-News-Today.com
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.