Know about headache & migraine, symptoms, causes
We face many common ailments in everyday life. Headache is one of the most common problems in most of the people
What is a Headache?
Headache is a pain in the forehead or within the head which may be mild or severe and lasts for half an hour to three or four days depending on the type of the disorder. Headache is caused by dilation of blood vessels in the head.
Symptoms of Headache:
Headache may be accompanied by dizziness, nausea, nasal stuffiness, difficulty in seeing and difficulty in hearing. Headache is just a symptom but not a disease.
Headache may be due to many causes such as :
- Excessive Drinking
- Excessive Smoking
- Lack of Sleep
- Drug Abuse
- Eye Strain
- Failure to correct defective vision
- Exposure to toxic gases like carbon monoxide and sulphur dioxide.
- Exposure to pollution
- Some headaches are symptoms of diseases like pneumonia, constipation, allergy, high blood pressure, brain tumour.
- Headache is also caused by emotional strain and tension as the head and neck muscles are constricted unconsciously.
Many of these causes bring about dilation of blood vessels in the head, which is the common physiological cause of headache.
Headaches may be felt occasionally or they may be chronic which are usually tension headaches or migraine. Migraine is a severe and intense form of headache, so it is called a sick headache. Migraine may last for several days and bed rest may be necessary. Migraine is accompanied by dizziness, light sensitivity, and chills.
The exact cause for migraine is not known. It may be hereditary. Migraine may be precipitated by changes in body hormonal balance, sudden changes in temperature and pressure or due to intake of alcoholic beverages or drug abuse. The person suffering from chronic headache should consult the doctor and undergo a complete physical check-up.
Avoiding Tension Headaches
Tension headaches are avoided by sleeping adequately and doing exercises. It can also be avoided by learning to cope up with frustrations and anxieties. A person should get relaxed daily. These headaches are treated by neck massage, heating pad, and hot bath.
How to get relief from a Headache?
- Tablets: Aspirin is effective in treating headaches when taken according to directions. A double dose is not effective and is also dangerous.
- A cup of coffee or caffeine beverages is helpful for treating headaches as caffeine constricts blood vessels.
- Headache can also be treated by breathing fresh air for some time.
How to prevent or avoid Headaches?
Excessive intake of alcohol and tobacco should be avoided. Eyes should be taken care of by not reading in dim light or glaring light. Eye checkups have to be done regularly and glasses should be worn when needed.