Iran walks away from Islamabad talks, Trump responds with Hormuz naval blockade

US President Trump orders a naval blockade of the Strait of Hormuz after US-Iran peace talks in Islamabad collapse over nuclear and maritime demands.
Representative image of United States President Donald Trump as markets brace for fresh Iran war exit signals, NATO withdrawal rhetoric, and a deepening global oil crisis.
Representative image of United States President Donald Trump as markets brace for fresh Iran war exit signals, NATO withdrawal rhetoric, and a deepening global oil crisis.

United States President Donald Trump announced on Sunday, April 12, 2026, that the United States Navy would immediately begin blockading the Strait of Hormuz, following the collapse of marathon peace negotiations between the United States and Iran in Islamabad, Pakistan. The talks, which extended to more than 21 hours, were the first direct in-person discussions between the two governments since Iran’s 1979 Islamic Revolution, and the most significant diplomatic engagement of the six-week conflict that began with a joint United States-Israeli military strike on Iran on February 28, 2026.

Vice President J.D. Vance, who led the United States delegation, announced no agreement had been reached, saying Iran had chosen not to accept American terms before departing Islamabad just after 7 a.m. on Sunday. Vance stated that the failure to reach agreement was worse news for Iran than for the United States.

In a series of posts to his Truth Social platform, Trump said the United States Navy would begin the process of blockading any and all ships trying to enter or leave the Strait of Hormuz, effective immediately. Trump also ordered the United States Navy to seek and interdict every vessel in international waters that had paid a toll to Iran, warning that no one who pays an illegal toll would have safe passage on the high seas. He said United States forces would destroy the mines Iran had laid in the strait during the blockade operation. Trump threatened that any Iranian who fired at the United States Navy or at peaceful vessels would face lethal retaliation. He stated that other countries would be involved in the blockade but did not specify which governments or naval forces.

Why did the United States-Iran Islamabad talks fail after 21 hours of negotiations

The ceasefire framework brokered by Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif had called for an immediate halt to hostilities, the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, and a 15 to 20-day negotiating window. A core ceasefire condition was Iran’s immediate and complete reopening of the Strait of Hormuz to restore global oil flow.

The United States delegation in Islamabad consisted of Vice President Vance, Special Envoy Steve Witkoff, and Jared Kushner. The United States put forward a 15-point proposal that included significant curbs on Iran’s military and nuclear capabilities along with provisions addressing regional security and maritime passage. Iran’s framework demanded an end to Israeli attacks on Hezbollah in Lebanon, the release of six billion dollars in frozen Iranian assets, guarantees around Iran’s nuclear programme, and the right to charge vessels for passage through the Strait of Hormuz.

See also  Tragedy strikes again: Devastating landslide swallows gold miners in Indonesia

Vance said the United States required an affirmative commitment that Iran would not seek a nuclear weapon and would not seek the tools that would enable it to quickly achieve one. Iran’s position throughout has been that its nuclear programme is civilian in nature and that it retains a sovereign right to uranium enrichment for peaceful purposes.

Iran’s state broadcaster reported that excessive demands by the United States prevented any agreement, citing a failure to find common ground on the status of the Strait of Hormuz and Iran’s nuclear technology programme. Iran’s Parliamentary Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf blamed the United States for the failure of the negotiations, saying United States officials failed to gain the trust of the Iranian delegation. According to Turkish media reporting, negotiations over the management of the Strait of Hormuz were so tense that Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Aragchi and United States Special Envoy Steve Witkoff nearly came to blows during the talks.

Trump, reflecting on the outcome, said most points had been agreed upon during the Islamabad talks but that the only point that truly mattered was nuclear, and that Iran had failed to concede on that question.

What Iran’s blockade of the Strait of Hormuz has cost global energy markets since the war began

The Strait of Hormuz is a chokepoint for approximately 20 percent of global oil and liquefied natural gas shipments. Iran’s effective blockade of the waterway since the start of the conflict at the end of February 2026 has disrupted global energy supplies and sent oil prices rising sharply. Fuel and fertilizer prices had already shot up across Africa as a direct consequence of restricted passage through the strait.

Iran had been preparing to charge shipping toll fees of up to two million dollars per vessel for passage through the strait, selectively granting access to countries it viewed as friendly, including China and India, while blocking or charging others. An Israeli intelligence source told Fox News that the strait had come under effective full control of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

Trump’s blockade announcement is designed to counter Iran’s stranglehold on the waterway. The interdiction order means vessels from countries including China, India, and Pakistan that had been transiting the strait under separate commercial arrangements with Tehran could face interception by the United States Navy, putting Washington on a potential collision course with multiple governments that had been purchasing Iranian oil.

See also  Will Washington blink first? Trump dangles a health-care deal if Democrats end the shutdown

One complicating factor for the reopening of the strait is that Iran had reportedly lost track of mines it planted in the waterway, leaving it unable to fully clear the passage even if it chose to do so. The United States had already launched a naval mine-clearing operation in the Strait of Hormuz ahead of the Islamabad talks. Two United States Navy guided-missile destroyers, the USS Frank E. Petersen Jr. and the USS Michael Murphy, transited the Strait of Hormuz on Saturday as part of an operation to establish a new passage and encourage the free flow of commerce, according to United States Central Command.

How the conflict has widened to Lebanon and what the ceasefire framework now faces

The death toll compiled by the United States-based rights group HRANA stood at nearly 3,400 people killed since the start of the conflict, including more than 1,600 civilians. More than 2,000 people had been killed in Lebanon, 23 in Israel, and 13 United States service members had died in combat, with two further deaths from non-combat causes.

Israel’s continued military campaign against Hezbollah in southern Lebanon had added a significant point of tension to the Islamabad negotiations. Iran had demanded that a halt to Israeli attacks on Hezbollah be included as a condition for any permanent agreement. Israel rejected that demand. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stated that Israel under his leadership would continue to fight Iran’s government and its proxy forces, and that peace talks with Lebanon would require the disarmament of Hezbollah as a prerequisite.

Israeli warplanes struck multiple towns in southern Lebanon overnight into Sunday, with the Lebanese National News Agency reporting that a strike on a house in the town of Maaroub targeted a family of more than seven members, resulting in deaths and injuries. Further strikes were reported across the region.

Pakistan’s Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar urged both parties to uphold their ceasefire commitment and said Pakistan would continue playing a facilitating role in promoting renewed dialogue between the United States and Iran. Oman’s Foreign Minister Badr Albusaidi urged the extension of the ceasefire and continued negotiations, saying success would require painful concessions from all sides, but that this was preferable to the alternative of resumed war.

See also  Congress rips into Gujarat High Court’s verdict on Rahul Gandhi's case

Iran’s state-affiliated Fars news agency, citing a source close to the negotiating team, reported that Iran had no plan for a new round of negotiations and was in no hurry to alter the status of the Strait of Hormuz until the United States agreed to what Tehran described as a reasonable deal. The fate of the fragile two-week ceasefire, already strained by Iran’s failure to reopen the strait and Israel’s continued strikes in Lebanon, now rests on whether either side chooses to re-engage or whether Trump’s blockade announcement triggers a return to active hostilities.

Key takeaways on what the Islamabad collapse and United States naval blockade mean for Iran, the United States, and global energy security

  • United States President Donald Trump announced a naval blockade of the Strait of Hormuz on April 12, 2026, effective immediately, ordering the United States Navy to stop all vessels entering or leaving the strait and to interdict any ship that had paid a toll to Iran for passage.
  • Peace talks in Islamabad between the United States and Iran, the first direct in-person engagement since the 1979 Islamic Revolution, ended after more than 21 hours without any agreement, with the core impasse being Iran’s refusal to commit to abandoning its nuclear programme and its insistence on retaining control of the Strait of Hormuz.
  • Iran’s blockade of the Strait of Hormuz, through which approximately 20 percent of global oil and liquefied natural gas supplies pass, has disrupted energy markets globally since the conflict began in late February 2026, with Iran also having lost track of mines it planted in the waterway, complicating any reopening.
  • The United States blockade announcement puts Washington on a direct potential collision course with China, India, and Pakistan, whose vessels had been transiting the strait under separate arrangements with Iran, raising the risk of the conflict drawing in additional geopolitical actors.
  • Pakistan’s government, which hosted the talks and mediated the original ceasefire, urged both sides to uphold the ceasefire commitment and pledged to facilitate further dialogue, while Iran stated it had no immediate plan for a new round of negotiations.

Discover more from Business-News-Today.com

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Total
0
Shares
Related Posts